Religion--mini-beef #1
I was thinking about what I had talked about yesterday...why is labelling so important? Why is an important question to some ppl, "What religious denomination are you?" And on any personal information things, when they have those specify-your-religion boxes, i always have to select "other." Does it REALLY matter that much...? And then, when you grow up, if you were raised with religion in your life, would that affect who you would eventually settle with? I asked my roommates...one who is jewish and the other mormon. In college, they are fine with having fun...but in the end, they will find someone jewish and someone mormon. I know other ppl like that too...does that mean people who DON'T have religion have to stick together? How do you know if you're just a "fling" rather than someone a person would seriously consider being with? Gah...
At TH, we talked about how we were jaded...I know I am. We (as in the ppl who were also in my conversation) are too cynical to accept religion the way it is, and unfortunately, that means we can't find comfort in it. Questioning it, poking holes, finding loopholes...all too easy to do. We are jealous of ppl who can find comfort...once you've become jaded, there is no way to go back. Or for me, ever really, truly reach that comfort, unless I can be convinced of otherwise.
Ppl have told me that their religion makes them the ppl they are and is a reason why they are happy. I just wonder, if I had grown up with religion around me...would I be any happier or better off? I would still have questions...In my mom's family, 3 of my aunts became Catholics. Why not my mom? Would it have drastically changed my life?
So many questions. I still don't get it.
I was thinking about what I had talked about yesterday...why is labelling so important? Why is an important question to some ppl, "What religious denomination are you?" And on any personal information things, when they have those specify-your-religion boxes, i always have to select "other." Does it REALLY matter that much...? And then, when you grow up, if you were raised with religion in your life, would that affect who you would eventually settle with? I asked my roommates...one who is jewish and the other mormon. In college, they are fine with having fun...but in the end, they will find someone jewish and someone mormon. I know other ppl like that too...does that mean people who DON'T have religion have to stick together? How do you know if you're just a "fling" rather than someone a person would seriously consider being with? Gah...
At TH, we talked about how we were jaded...I know I am. We (as in the ppl who were also in my conversation) are too cynical to accept religion the way it is, and unfortunately, that means we can't find comfort in it. Questioning it, poking holes, finding loopholes...all too easy to do. We are jealous of ppl who can find comfort...once you've become jaded, there is no way to go back. Or for me, ever really, truly reach that comfort, unless I can be convinced of otherwise.
Ppl have told me that their religion makes them the ppl they are and is a reason why they are happy. I just wonder, if I had grown up with religion around me...would I be any happier or better off? I would still have questions...In my mom's family, 3 of my aunts became Catholics. Why not my mom? Would it have drastically changed my life?
So many questions. I still don't get it.



<< Home